FAMILY 4TH PREFERENCE (F4)
Clarification. In general, you may have the same father or mother: (a) a genetic father or mother, (b) a non-genetic gestational mother (who is recognized by the relevant jurisdiction as your legal parent), (c) an adoptive father or mother, (d) a stepfather or stepmother. However, there are particular requirements regarding adoptive parents, legitimate parents, step parents, birth out of wedlock, or birth through ART (Assisted Reproductive Technology).
REQUIREMENT 2. Your brother or sister is age 21 or older.
Is a job offer in the U.S. required? - No.
Is Labor Certification required? - No.
Is Prevailing Wage Determination required? - No.
Is proficiency in English required? - No.
Is a minimum education required? - No.
Is a maximum age required? - No.
Is an Affidavit of Support required? - Yes.
Is a proof of funds to start life in the U.S. required? - No.
Can your family members get green cards as derivative beneficiaries? - Yes.
1. Authoritative sources directly relevant to this category (in general-to-specific order):
- U.S. DOS Guidance: Family Immigration
- U.S. DOS Guidance: Family-Based Immigrant Visas
- USCIS Guidance: Green Card for Family Preference Immigrants
- U.S. DOS: 9 FAM 502.2. Family-based IV Classifications
- 8 CFR 204.2
- USCIS: AFM 21.9