Subcategory 2 (EB12): Outstanding Professor or Researcher

REQUIREMENT 1. You have a job offer in the U.S. as a professor or researcher.

REQUIREMENT 2. Your job offer is to pursue tenure or tenure track teaching or comparable research position at a university or other institution of higher education.

REQUIREMENT 3. You have at least 3 years experience in teaching or research in your academic field.

REQUIREMENT 4. You have international recognized Outstanding Achievements in your academic field.

Clarification. To prove Outstanding Achievements, you must meet at least two out of six criteria of Outstanding Achievements, specified by the U.S. immigration law.


Is a PERM recruitment process required? - No.
Is Labor Certification required? - No.
Is Prevailing Wage Determination required? - No.
Is proficiency in English required? - No.
Is a minimum education required? - No.
Is a minimum or maximum age required? - No.
Is an Affidavit of Support required? - No.
Is a proof of funds to start life in the U.S. required? - No.
Can your family members get green cards as derivative beneficiaries? - Yes.

1. Authoritative sources directly relevant to this category (in general-to-specific order):

Note: The above regulatory authority, policies/procedures, guidance reflect relevant provisions of statutory authorities and all other authoritative sources, and thus contain exhaustive information relevant to this category.

2. Authoritative sources relevant to all immigration categories: Online guidance, tools, and resources