Subcategory: Special Immigrant, Physician

REQUIREMENT 1. You have graduated from a medical school or have qualified to practice medicine in a foreign country.

REQUIREMENT 2. You were fully and permanently licensed to practice medicine in the U.S. on January 9, 1978, and were practicing medicine on that date.

REQUIREMENT 3. You entered the U.S. as a nonimmigrant under H or J visa before January 10, 1978.

REQUIREMENT 4. You have been continuously present in the U.S. in the practice or study of medicine since the date of such entry.


Is a job offer in the U.S. required? - No.
Is Labor Certification required? - No.
Is Prevailing Wage Determination required? - No.
Is proficiency in English required? - Yes.
Is a minimum education required? - Yes.
Is a minimum or maximum age required? - No.
Is an Affidavit of Support required? - No.
Is a proof of funds to start life in the U.S. required? - No.
Can your family members get green cards as derivative beneficiaries? - Yes.

1. Authoritative sources directly relevant to this category (in general-to-specific order):

Note: The above policies/procedures, guidance reflect relevant provisions of statutory authorities, regulatory authorities, and all other authoritative sources, and thus contain exhaustive information relevant to this category.

2. Authoritative sources relevant to all immigration categories: Online guidance, tools, and resources